Thursday 7 March 2013

Rock star employees

I aspire to being an amazing employee. Let's face it, we all think we are outstanding in some fashion, but do we really understand concretely the characteristics of an amazing employee from our employer's perspective? I'm going to say that we know some, but not all, of the ingredients needed to surprise and delight our employers.

10 Things Really Amazing Employees Do by Kevin Daum published in Inc. outlines traits that should be recognized and rewarded. It's a perfect employee handbook both from the employee's and manager's point of view. Please do read this original article. I have taken great liberty in my interpretation - it's such an excellent thought-starter.

1. Understands the business - It took me a long time to figure out what a McKinsey consultant was working to achieve for a client and how they did it. But once I understood their pressures, skill set, process and approach, I was better able to fit my services to their needs. I encountered many people in the company whose work was so isolated, they had no idea what the conference invoice was achieving or how their work fit into the master plan. The McKinsey IT helpdesk is probably the best example who to train a group of non-consultants to operate at their level, problem solve with them, and really get into the shoes of their customers. Kudos to Adrian, Bob, Sandra, and Michele.

2. Ambassador and steward - There have been a number of examples of increased employee engagement when employees are shareholders - the company IS their own and they are in charge of its future. When this kind of incentive is not available to all organizations, it comes down to an employee's integrity and strong values to act as a responsible steward of the company's resources. I remember a consultant from South America, unfamiliar with the Canadian winters, charged her purchase of new snow boots back to the client as a business expense. I sure hope that one was disallowed.

3. Generates growth opportunities - Drawing on a strong understanding of the business (point #1), a great employee on the front line is in a tremendous position to make improvements and observe the client in a special way. I remember the CEO of Philips encouraging us to call out the issues that may not be in the scope of the project, but are of importance - put everything on the table. Fresh eyes to a situation can be unbelievably valuable.

4. Solves problems proactively - Some people seem to thrive on complaining about problems. I have met so many people who will spend hours regaling problems and solutions (oddly enough), because they are in the position of point #3. In the words of Dr. Phil, "How's that working for you?" I like a good problem and have generated a ton of interesting projects for myself and my career has been rich and rewarding as a result. The complainers have not been so lucky.


5. Tell the truth - At McKinsey, we were governed by a strong set of values and we reviewed them annually on Values Day. My favourite value is "the obligation to dissent." It was the way we ensured that the people with ideas gleaned in #3 and #4 could be assured of an open-minded reception, even if they were very junior. An important point about uncomfortable truths is that we learn from failure just as much as we learn from success. Fear of failure results in a stagnant environment where innovation is considered too risky. No decision IS a decision.

6. Deliver high quality consistently - Naturally, rock star employees are noted for their high quality contributions - this is probably the clearest characteristic and easiest to understand. Not every employee will know where the bar is set for quality. I have found many great managers spend time talking about what they need and less time about how to do it - helping to iterate toward the end result. Top quality work is a team process - everyone contributes and makes the efforts of others better. No man is an island. Thanks Charles.

7. Mentor and bring others along with their success - Spread the wealth, the knowledge, and the secret sauce. Have you ever met someone who was clearly out for themselves at the expense of others? Fortunately, I usually had the opposite experience - see my previous musings on trust in the workplace.

8. Learn and adapt - Ah, was there ever a day at McKinsey when I was not pushed to bend my poor little brain around something I had never heard of before? Yes, there were a few rare quiet days, but most were action packed and challenging. My static colleagues were just that, caught in a rut wondering why opportunities didn't come their way. I characterized my time with McK as "the university of McKinsey." I steeped myself in new knowledge with every team I served. It was so much fun.

9. Strong EQ - Having that emotional quotient to understand how the actions of one influence the attitudes of others is a critical element of success. The best leaders I worked with all had it. This is the one I watch most closely, trying to pick up all the cues, just like an episode of "Lie to Me" which was unjustly cancelled. One senior manager I know is in a complete panic under deadlines and you know what that does to everyone else - yes, they are freaked out too, and not happy about it. I like to calm people down by being calm. When they articulate worst case ("what if they had an accident"), I counter with  another view of the situation ("it's probably just a subway delay"). It seems trite, but the person just wants to voice their worries. I try to radiate calm, even if I get that sinking feeling when the computer STOPS WORKING!

10. Make their bosses look great - This is my favourite characteristic and left for last. We work as a team to move forward the goals of the organization. I completely recognize that what a leader brings to the table and what I do is different. My job is to make your job easier. I am not like some folks who grouse about their managers wondering what they do all day - they just don't understand how the manager's job is not to be a souped-up (yes, I checked this idiomatic spelling) version of the employee. It is intangible and metaphorically similar to pushing a big broom.


A collection of amazing employees makes an organization successful. Employees are the backbone of any service to any client or customer. Can you imagine a company with no employees? Nonsensical. Yet, do we always remember what human capital really means? Sometimes, it might be overlooked in the crush of activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment