Wednesday 13 February 2013

Job hunter's paradise

I've found my temporary work space to keep me in a positive mindset and productive. Most people look at me oddly when I tell them I hang out at Tim Hortons in Leaside. The ambiance is reminiscent of the McKinsey ski chalet (as my friend Ted calls it). The Toronto office had bountiful 14 ft windows and fireplaces (yep, plural) - and so does Tims. There's a buzz in the air, people come and go, and free wifi. What more could a girl ask? 

This Tim's is unlike any other. It's Restoration Hardware meets coffee shop. I was so impressed with the new design direction that I considered for a moment the job postings for Organizational Development Managers (2). Unfortunately, the jobs are located in Oakville.

If I was lucky enough to actually land the job, I would then need to get myself forth from Toronto and back from Oakville on a daily basis. This would inevitably involve interpreting the train schedule - illustrated below.


I can just hear the groaning coming from the UK contingent where trains are an essential way of life. But I bet you wish you had that 2 hours a day in your back pocket rather than mushing through the crowds with your heart in your throat as you sprint to catch the next train. Do you ever think about what all that extra adrenalin might be doing to your lifespan?

I live in Toronto. When I visit places like NY, I return home to the island airport with it's pleasant sunsets on the lake, the lake breeze, and a little walk through a park to get to my car which is parked among 50 others. Conversely, I struggle to find an honest someone to drive me to the airport in NY - it's always an ordeal. The wonderful thing about living in Toronto is that the quality of everyday life can be so good if you don't have to commute to another city. 

Quality of daily life is a priority for me. Does it seem strange to not pursue opportunities just because of distance? How far would you go for work?

Off I go now to form some more creature connections at my yoga class.


No comments:

Post a Comment